It is incredibly important to keep kids active and healthy. Without regular physical activity, a child can become overweight and prone to serious health conditions, including diabetes and obesity. One of the easiest ways to keep a child active is by taking them a playground. The benefits of playground use in the development of young children cannot be overlooked, but before you send your child to play on a playground, whether at school or the local park, you want to make sure this is a space you can feel confident about, where you know your child will be safe.
The Benefits of Safety Surfacing Materials
There are a number of ways to improve a playground, but the majority of all playground accidents occur as a result of a slip or fall. The concrete or other hard ground material can cause a sprain, bone break, concussion, or other injury, which can be serious and even life-threatening, especially among toddler-aged children. Even if you have an eye on them at all times,
Improving a Playground
When it comes to improving the overall safety of a playground, one of the most effective steps is installing safety surfacing. From tiles and wood chips to pour-in-place and engineered wood fiber, there are certainly more than enough options to choose from, each type of material with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. When deciding which material is best for your playground, there are a few key aspects to consider.
- Wheelchair accessibility. In order to make a playground area wheelchair accessible, you need to stick with engineered wood fiber, tiles, or poured-in-place as your material of choice.
- Affordability. The prices of these safety surfacing materials do vary. Although tiles are initially expensive, they do cost less in the long run. Although the wood chips are fairly inexpensive to purchase, they do need to be replaced regularly and therefore cost more over time.
- Ease of installation. Certain materials such as wood chips and engineered wood fiber are easier to install than others. This is another important factor to consider when deciding on the material of choice for safety surfacing a playground.
- Price. The price does fluctuate between one material type and another, depending on the difficulty of installation, size of area to be covered, and more.
- Maintenance. One of the biggest issues to keep in mind when deciding on a safety surfacing material is the care and maintenance required. The more durable materials, such as tiles and poured-in-place, tend to be easier to clean and require less maintenance overall.
Safety surfacing for playgrounds is one of the most effective and efficient ways of improving a playground, not only in terms of safety, but also appearance.
The team at American Safety Surface has years of experience backing them up and can help you improve any playground. From getting started with a design plan to sorting out the final details, they will work with you every step of the way with your safety surfacing needs.